Welcome to my blog...

Hello... And thanks for stopping by/stumbling upon my blog. Do read on. It's just the thoughts and opinions of a regular bloke going about a fairly normal life. Hope you find something that is thought provoking and perhaps even inspiring....

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Bucket List Marathon

I've never really had a "bucket list". At least not until recently that is. Then having done a half marathon last year, I decided that to do a marathon before I was 40 (Feb 2014) was the next challenge.

I'm pleased to say that I achieved that back in May and was delighted with my accomplishment (4hrs 9mins).

But I have to say that I felt particularly flat after the event. I guess it's one of those things that you have focused on for so long and then once its over there's not that same focus.

It got me thinking about "aspirations" and "ambitions" that people have in general. We often look for satisfaction and fulfilment in our next achievement. For some that might be the next promotion or an achievement in family life, a sporting accomplishment or many other things.

But do these things really satisfy?

In the Bible, Jesus spoke to many people who had tried many things to satisfy them, but found that they were left empty. On one occasion, in John ch 4, Jesus spoke to a women at a well in Samaria, who had, had 5 husbands and now a live-in lover and yet, was still unhappy and unfulfilled.

She had come to the well for a drink, but on that occasion, Jesus offered her living water as he said, "whoever drinks of the water that I will give will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give will become a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Jesus offers us something that truly and fully satisfies - eternal life!!

This is something that we can't have on our own strength, because each of us have flaws in our life (which the Bible describes as sin).

Yet, we are promised from God that if we confess our sins and believe in what Jesus has done for us when he died on the cross at Calvary, we can have this eternal life.

So, what's on your bucket list? Make sure you give God some thought and consider why Jesus came into the world and died. It was for you, that you might have eternal life in heaven with Him.

Thanks for reading!! God Bless!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment